Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sheila Kurtz {Studio K}

Every month we are hoping to show case the work of one or two members from the Taber Photography Club.  Sheila Kurtz has agreed to be the first!  I know you will be amazed by her work which consists of mostly portraiture.  Her studio is located near Barnwell Alberta, and although her website is currently under constuction; please take the time to read through her blog here.
I asked Sheila to give a bit of background on how she got into photography & what she likes to shoot the most...that sort of thing.  So without further ado; this is what Sheila had to say!

I have always enjoyed photography, but started shooting  for pay 13 years ago, after taking a night course at Lethbridge Community College.  I used a Pentax K1000(film) and then a Rebel G.   I own a Mamiya medium format 645, but since I 've gone digital, I've hardly used it.   Shame in some sense, as it couldn't be beat with a 80mm prime lens!  


Photography was always a part time thing, working around 4 young children, and a job with Horizon School Division. Last year I took a leap of faith, quit my other job, bought a piece of land and old shop across the street and went full time.  


I shoot with 50D and it works for me for most of what I like to do. Since then we have converted the shop into a studio and office.   I attended a 4 day workshop with Nichole Van, a WPPI award recipient, and have tried to surround myself with good mentors, both locally and in the US, making time each week to visit/talk shop with one or all of them. I have lots to learn , programs to master, and books I still need to read, and so many things to try.  
I get so excited when I learn just one little trick with lighting or photoshop or to smooth out my workflow...gives me goosebumps every time.
My favorite subjects are 4 year old girls, grads, and Brides.


My studio is doing a fundraiser this Friday.  Brynn Lund, my 10 year old neighbor was diagnosed with cancer this summer and is undergoing chemo for almost an entire year. 


The Barnwell School is hosting a fundraiser next Tuesday "Trim for Brynn" 4:30-7:30 at the school.   People can get their hair trimmed for 10.00!   Plus there is supper and a silent auction.   The goal is to raise 15,000 to donate to the family to help with expenses of one parent being home with their 3 other children while one is in Calgary and making several trips a week. 


In conjunction with that,  I've challenged my clients to help me raise 1200.00 to donate.   Each fall I have a "Fall Mini Session" for kids 12 and under, but this Friday, Oct. 1, I opened it to any age really, and the 95.00 for each session (that includes 10 images on a disc) is being donated. We are 3/4 way to my goal, but I still have room for anyone in the morning or the day before (Thursday).


To help Sheila out with her fundraiser or get information on a session; skip over to her blog, or give her a call at 403.223.2444!
Thank you Sheila for taking the time out of your busy schedule to add to the club blog!  Best of luck in business, and with the local fundraiser you've chosen to contribute to.  What a great cause!


Now; enjoy some of Sheila's beautiful work!!!!  And be sure to leave a comment ;)




















2 comments:

  1. Great Work!!
    nice to see such a nice platform to highlight all the talent we have in the Taber Photography Club

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful photos Sheila! Thank you so much for sharing!
    ~Jody

    ReplyDelete